Monday 26 December 2011

The best laid plans

All was well until mid-morning on Christmas Eve, we had both gone skiing in the beautiful morning sunshine. Instead of stopping for a hot chocolate at 11.30am (which, with hindsight would have been sensible) we carried on down another run. I stupidly lost concentration for a moment and took a tumble, the next thing I knew, my left knee didn't feel like normal and I felt cold and dizzy, apparently I also kept saying I was thirsty and kept eating handfulls of snow.

I saw the Doctor in the village and had an x-ray, the result of which is that I haven't broken anything (hurrah) but I have got a bad knee ligament strain/tear (hurrooo). I now get to wear a very fetching knee brace for at least 10 days and hobble around on crutches. The Doctor says that I will hopefully be able to start skiing again in a month, and he has given me some really, really strong painkillers that also seem to make me feel quite elated, so obviously, the lovely Doctor is now my hero.

So, it isn't ideal, but it could be much, much worse. As long as I can keep taking these lovely painkillers, I can enjoy the sunshine, the great views of the mountains and read some books. Paul is being fantastic, although he balked at my suggestion that I have his bicycle bell to ring for him whenever I needed something.....funny, it seemed like such a reasonable suggestion to me!!!

I hope everyone had a great Christmas and here's to a happy, healthy, New Year.

1 comment: