Thursday 14 June 2012

Google translate

Google translate has been a brilliant thing over the last 7 months, it has helped me get all sorts of information and stuff from the chemist, tourist office, bank, post office and pet shop. However, today I tested the extremities of its range and carefully wrote out in Portugese what I needed from the friendly vet in Marinha Grande. I tried to pronounce it - just got blank stares, so I handed over my little scrap of paper with my neatly written out and, I thought, polite request - the stares back at me went from merely blank to shoulder shrugging incomprehension. Eventually a lovely veterinary nurse who spoke a little bit of English (more than my non-existent Portugese anyway), came out and after a short conversation we were all sorted with the correct item. So, what I wanted to say on my little note was "Please could I purchase a worm tablet for my dog?" What I think my Google translated note said was "May I please purchase some earthworms to feed to my dog?" Oh well Google translate, it's been lovely and I'm sorry I gave you a task too far, I'll stick to easier subjects from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment